Vision and Values
Who We Are and What We Stand For
To be the Nation's leading public academic health care system.
Leading. Teaching. Caring.
These are the principles that guide our day to day behaviors, our decisions, our actions and our relationships with each other and with the people we serve.
We Care About
- Our Patients and Their Families
Delivering quality health care and outstanding service is fundamental to everything we do.
- Our Team
Attracting and retaining the best team members is of paramount importance to our Health Care System. We will do this by becoming the health care employer of choice and by providing an environment that:
- Pursues the highest level of safety and quality:
- Focuses on treating patients and colleagues with courtesy, honesty, respect and dignity;
- Recognizes people for their achievements and capabilities;
- Is professionally satisfying:
- Encourages the open exchange of views and
- Does not tolerate offensive and disruptive behavior.
- Our Community
Dedicating ourselves to finding ways to improve the health of all North Carolinians is central to our leading, teaching and caring.
How We Work
Our primary focus must be improving the health of our patients and meeting their needs with our service excellence:
- We will have a culture dedicated to service and to measurable accountability.
- We will be state-of-the-art in meeting patient needs.
We must deliver excellent service and operate leading programs:
- Patients will experience a seamless and sophisticated system of care that is efficient, of high quality, safe and easy to navigate.
- Outstanding research programs will enable high quality patient care with the most recent medical advances.
- Students and trainees will enjoy a fully rounded and rich experience that integrates outstanding clinical care and leading academic research.
We must be deeply and broadly engaged with the people of North Carolina and the nation to meet their health challenges:
- We will be innovators in research, development and implementation of new means for improving the health of North Carolinians and sharing that knowledge with a national audience.
- We will have collaborative partnerships with Rex Healthcare, Chatham Hospital, AHEC, the health sciences schools, the State of North Carolina, employers, insurers, other health care providers and key constituencies.
- We will have clarity in our role as the State's safety net institution and our role as a leader among such institutions across the region and the United States.
We must maintain financial viability for the Health Care System, with margins sufficient to support our Missions.
- Financial viability will be a System-wide objective with specific expectations and accountabilities established for each component of the Health Care System.
- This financial viability and margin will come from continual improvements in our operations and from an explicit, unapologetic focus on productivity enhancement.
Click here for a printable version.