This site contains links to the UNC Hospitals Application for Appointment to Graduate Medical Education, which you can download as a <PDF>, or portable document format file. To view and print the file, your web browser will need the free plug-in "Acrobat Reader" which you can obtain from this page. Click the appropriate link below.
The following documentation must be mailed directly to the UNC Hospitals' Clinical Program to which you are applying:
1. Application for Appointment to Graduate Medical Education. All housestaff (specialty and subspecialty) must complete an application.
2. Three letters of reference.
a. One letter of reference should be mailed from the Dean or designee at the School of Medicine/Dentistry from which the applicant graduated certifying the degree awarded and the date awarded or anticipated date.
b. One letter of reference must be mailed from the Chairman or designee in the chosen specialty at the Medical/Dental School from which the applicant graduated.
c. A third letter of reference.
In the case of applicants for positions beyond the PGY1 year, the three letters of recommendation should include one from the program director of the residency program in which the applicant has most recently served and two from members of the medical or dental staff of the hospital affiliated with the sponsoring institution of that residency program.
The responsibility for securing letters of reference rests with the applicant. All letters of reference, transcripts, and supporting documents should be addressed directly to the Chief of Service or Director of the Training Program in which the applicant is interested. DO NOT have recommendation letters sent directly to the Director of Graduate Medical Education or just to UNC Hospitals.
3. An official Medical/Dental School transcript from the Registrar of the School of Medicine/Dentistry. A photocopy is not acceptable. The transcript must be mailed directly to the program.
4. A current CV.
5. A recent photograph is helpful but is not required.
6. Read carefully and sign the Authorization for Release of Information.
Return completed application to:
Residency Program Director
(Clinical Program Name)
University of North Carolina
Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599