UNC Pulmonary Rehabilitation
Pulmonary rehabilitation at UNC involves an interdisciplinary approach to the treatment of chronic respiratory disease.
Have a referral and need to make an appointment?
Want to refer to our clinic?
Please call (919) 843-2164 or fax referral to (919) 966-0348
UNC's pulmonary rehabilitation is provided by physical therapists and assistants for improved exercise capacity, symptom relief, and improved health-related quality of life. Our interdisciplinary approach to achieving a patient's goals also includes the collaboration of nurses, physicians, respiratory therapists, and counselors. A psychosocial support group is held once a month for those suffering from pulmonary disease.
What does pulmonary rehabilitation include?
- Monitored, progressive exercise for improved activity tolerance
- Breathing exercises/ retraining
- Airway clearance techniques
- Education on disease process and medications, benefits of exercise, understanding oxygen therapy, symptom assessment and when to seek medical attention
- Improved symptoms of disease or condition
- Ability to function better in daily life
- Patient specific exercise program including home program
- Increased ability to exercise
- Decreased symptoms of fatigue, anxiety and depression
Please click here for a list of respiratory conditions and symptoms that are appropriate for pulmonary rehabilitation.