Are you interested in donating to UNC Health Care? Thank you for thinking of us. We often get calls with questions about donations and we are happy to accept most items. Here are some guidelines:
- We are always looking for magazines less than a year old.
- We are always looking for new or gently used books for adults and children.
- We are always looking for magazines and books in Spanish.
Unfortunately, we are unable to accept:
- used toys/toys that have already been in someone's home
- religious items
- latex balloons
- items sealed or wrapped (such as in wrapping paper or envelopes)
We happily accept:
- brand-new items
- things children (boys and girls) ages newborn through 18 would enjoy
- beanie babies/stuffed animals
- blank notebooks
- coloring books
- crossword/sudoku/wordsearch/puzzle books
- games (playing cards/UNO cards/board games/handheld single player games)
- hair items such as barrettes, etc.
- Hot Wheels cars
- nail polish
- play dough/silly putty
- single-use craft supplies (pipe cleaners, colorful tissue paper, colored paper, colored pencils, markers, googly eyes, stickers, crayons, cute erasers, etc.)
- Homemade or purchased lap blankets, baby blankets, or baby caps
- Hold a book (new/gently used) or toy (new only) drive.
- Make activity bags with items such as small toys, pencils, stickers, etc. for children. The bags need to be open (unsealed) or see-through. If groups are interested in volunteering in the Pediatric Playroom, please visit the Group Volunteers page.
- Use the wish list at www.childsplaycharity.org. Choose "view hospital map" and find NC Children's Hospital. When you click on our hospital, there is a huge wish list created by our Recreational Therapists.
- To the Volunteer Association, which supports programs throughout the hospital: contact our office at (919) 966-4793.
- To the Hospital: Medical Foundation of North Carolina
- To the Child Life & Recreational Therapy Department
- To the NC. Children's Promise
Other departments also accept monetary and in-kind donations. You may contact them directly to find out more about their needs and the donation process.
If you still have questions after reading over this page, please contact our office at (919) 966-4793. Thank you for your generosity!