Mobile Screening and Testing for Coronavirus (COVID-19)
UNC Health is providing community screening and testing for coronavirus (COVID-19). Participants will be screened by medical professionals, and those who are considered high risk and have coronavirus symptoms will be tested. Our team will also provide information about how to keep yourself and others safe, as well as information about resources to help with food, medication costs, stress, anxiety and other needs.
Now Offering Flu Shots
Anyone over 19 years old will be offered a flu shot. A clinical team member will discuss the benefits and possible side effects of the influenza vaccine with you. Our team member will also review a health questionnaire to ensure that you can safely receive the influenza vaccine. The influenza vaccine is then safely administered (an injection in the muscle of your upper arm) while you remain in your car.
When to call 911
If you are having difficulty breathing, call 911 or seek immediate treatment.
Participants are highly encouraged to pre-register using the online registration form to the right. Pre-registered patients will be prioritized. Those who do not pre-register will be screened for possible testing on a first come, first served basis while supplies last.
Where will we be next?
UPDATE: UNC Health's mobile screening team has shifted focus from testing for coronavirus (COVID-19) to vaccination. The mobile unit will focus on increasing access to vaccine, especially for those in rural and marginalized communities.
More information about the UNC Health vaccination program can be found at www.yourshot.org.
Servicio móvil de evaluación y prueba de coronavirus (COVID-19)
What to Expect at the Testing Site
Physical distancing practices will be followed while waiting to be screened. To minimize exposure, please do not bring extra people with you, if possible.
We’ve taken many steps to protect your health at the testing site, including:
- Providing masks for participants
- Using enhanced cleaning procedures
- Designing the location to allow for physical distancing
- Providing our staff with adequate personal protective equipment
Who will be tested?
We will test you for coronavirus if you are at high risk for getting sick from coronavirus, have symptoms of coronavirus OR had contact with someone who has tested positive for coronavirus.
You may be high-risk if you...
- Are 65 or older
- Are part of racial or ethnic group unevenly impacted by coronavirus
- Have a chronic condition like diabetes, heart disease, lung disease, or liver disease
- Live in or have regular contact with high-risk settings (like homeless shelters and migrant farmworker camps)
- Are a front-line and essential worker (like grocery store clerks and gas station)
Possible coronavirus symptoms include:
Cough and shortness of breath OR any two of these symptoms:
- Trouble breathing
- Runny nose
- Sore throat
- New loss of taste or smell
- Nausea/throwing up
- Muscle Aches
During the test, a clinical team member will put a swab (like a long Q-tip) deep into one of your nostrils.
How will I get my test results?
Your test results will be sent to you via text and through your My UNC Chart account. To see your results in My UNC Chart, sign in to your account, go to the Messaging Center, and click on COVID-19 Test Result. Here you can find your result and a Work/School Note, if needed.
If you don't have a My UNC Chart account, you can sign up using the link sent by text. The link should be used within 24 hours for easy sign up. For more information, read our step-by-step instructions for creating a My UNC Chart account and downloading the My Chart app.
- If you have a driver’s license or other form of ID, please bring it with you. However, you do NOT need to provide an ID or a social security number to be tested.
- If you have insurance, your insurance company will cover the cost of the test. You will not pay a copay for the test. If you do not have insurance, you will not be billed for a test.
- Please note there will be no public bathrooms available at the testing site.
- For more information about our mobile testing efforts or if you are interested in hosting a test site, please email email@example.com