Stay as healthy, active, and independent as possible with help from UNC Health. Partner with an experienced doctor who focuses on the unique needs of adults older than 65.
Primary Care for Older Adults
Count on your doctor to take the time to listen to your concerns, answer questions, and advocate for your health needs. When you select a primary care provider who specializes in geriatrics (senior health), you’ll benefit from:
- Care of illnesses and injuries
- Education on living and aging well
- Management of chronic (long-term) conditions, including diabetes, high cholesterol, and hypertension (high blood pressure)
- Medication management
- Referrals and coordination of care, when needed, to specialists, including audiologists, cardiologists, and oncologist
- Regular physical exams and recommended screening tests
If needed, you or your loved one can also access medical care and professional support for common age-related concerns, including:
- Bladder and bowel control care
- Fall prevention and improvement of balance and movement abilities
- Home health services
- Mental health care for anxiety, depression, loneliness, and grief
- Neurological care for conditions including Alzheimer’s disease and dementia
- Nutrition counseling
- Orthopedic care for issues like arthritis and osteoporosis
- Pain management
Outpatient and Inpatient Care
Our award-winning UNC Geriatrics clinic features primary care providers as well as a neurologist, pharmacist, nurse practitioner, and social worker with geriatrics expertise.
UNC Hospitals Hillsborough Campus is home to our Inpatient Geriatrics service and the state’s first geriatrics-accredited emergency department.