Patients, Families & Visitors
At UNC Health, your well-being and access to high-quality care are our top priorities. While amenities and options vary by the hospital or clinic you visit, you can expect the staff at UNC Health to treat you and your loved ones like friends, so you have the best possible experience. Learn more about what you can expect when you get care at UNC Health.
Advance Care Planning
As a patient of UNC Health, you’re encouraged to plan for your care in the event you’re too ill or injured to communicate your wishes. Advance care planning and living wills help your family or loved ones make decisions on your behalf while you’re in the hospital.
UNC Health offers advance care planning documents and guidance to help you start the conversation and outline your preferences.
Manage Your Care
Get access to online tools and UNC Health resources to manage your care. You’ll have access to:
- My UNC Chart – An online portal for communicating with your provider, accessing test results, and paying your bill with UNC Health
- Medical records – Request medical records from UNC Health
- Opioid safety – See how UNC Health takes opioid care and medication management seriously with our opioid program and drug safety resources
Billing & Insurance
Learn about the billing policies, as well as financial assistance options.
Patient Safety & Security
See how we protect the safety and security of patients and visitors to our campuses. We’re committed to your privacy and safety.
Co-worker Patient Safety
This is a healing environment.
Our workers have the right to be treated with dignity and respect. Abuse of employees, visitors or patients will not be tolerated.
Examples of Abusive Behavior Include:
- Harassment or intimidation
- Unwelcome or harmful physical contact or sexual advances
- Verbal threats or hostility including hate speech
- Any actions or speech that disrupt our ability to care for the people of North Carolina
Get a glimpse of various support services designed to improve wellness and health in your community. From fitness centers to pastoral care and more, you’ll have access to a variety of resources designed to help you, your family, and neighbors thrive.
Visitor Services & Guidelines
If you’re visiting a family member or loved one at a UNC Health hospital, get familiar with our policies and the amenities available to you, including:
- Dining and nutrition options
- Hygiene and safety recommendations
- Parking information
- Smoking and tobacco policy
- Wi-Fi availability
Volunteer at UNC Health
All hospitals and health systems of UNC Health welcome volunteers to assist our patients and guests. Contact your local hospital to get involved in volunteer opportunities, from front desk greeters and guest services personnel to gift shop and floral attendants.