Professional Development Council Home Page
Nursing Professional Development Council
Article I: Mission
The Nursing Professional Development Council defines, implements, evaluates and maintains educational standards that promote professional growth, development and ongoing clinical competency for staff and identifies strategies to promote retention of the professional nurse.
Article II: Purpose
The purpose of the Nursing Professional Development Council is to:
- Assess clinical education needs of staff at all levels and develop strategies to meet those needs in collaboration with the Nursing Practice, Education and Research Department.
- Participate in the development of competency based orientation programs, including the yearly competency review process in conjunction with the Clinical Practice Council, unit management team and NPER.
- Assess and evaluate the professional practice model of nursing at UNC Hospitals and participate in the development of educational programs to assist nursing staff in the implementation of the nursing care delivery system.
- Identify priorities and make recommendations related to formalized staff and leadership development programs.
- Foster an environment conducive to the advancement and utilization of nursing research in collaboration with the Nursing Research Council.
- Assess and evaluate the effectiveness of the Professional Advancement Ladder program.
- Promote the recruitment and retention of the professional nurse and support staff within UNC Hospitals.
Article III: Membership
Membership shall include the following:
- 1 Director
- 4 Clinical Nurse Managers
- 4 Nurse Educators
- Chair of the Professional Advancement Ladder Committee
- 1 staff nurse representative from each of the clinical service
- Surgery Services
- Heart Center
- Medicine Services
- Women’s Hospital
- Children’s Hospital
- Surgical Services
- Emergency Department/ Air Care
- At- large representative from the procedural areas
- At- large representative from the outpatient clinic areas
- Ex Officio Members:
- HR representative
- Ad Hoc members:
Representatives of non-nursing areas involved in clinical practice. Representatives will attend those meetings when their materials/requests are being reviewed for approval or when education issues affect nursing within that setting.
a. Each Council member/ Clinical service area shall have only one vote (if there is more than one nurse per clinical service area on the Council, there is still one voting member per service).
b. Ex Officio and Ad Hoc members will have no voting privileges.
c. Appointments to the Professional Development Council will be for a minimum of a one (1) year period for the first year that the Council is in existence; thereafter the period of appointment will be two (2) years. No more than 50% of the Council will be rotated off each year, including the first year of existence.
d. Election of members shall occur by November of each year; the term of membership will begin in January.
e. Members will be responsible for coordinating meetings or reporting activities and disseminating minutes/ information to their respective unit or clinical area representatives.
Article IV: Officers
a. The Chair and Co-Chair shall be elected from the membership of the Council. Each will serve one year in the respective position for a total of a two year term (one as Co-Chair, one as Chair). For the first year of the Council, a Director of Nursing will serve as the Chair and a staff nurse will serve in the Co-Chair position.
b. The Nurse Managers will report Council activities to the Nurse Manager Committee on a monthly basis as well as advise the Professional Development Council on management issues.
c. The Director serves as a resource and advises the council on issues that impact the goals and objectives of patient care services and the hospital as a whole.
Duties of the Officers:
a. The Council Chair/ Co-Chair is responsible for reporting to the Nursing Executive Council on a monthly basis.
b. Schedule and facilitate regular meetings.
c. Develop an agenda for each meeting.
d. Ensure that meeting minutes are maintained and disseminated.
e. Educate staff as to the activities and goals of the Nursing Quality Council.
f. The Chair will be responsible for the development and submission of an annual report due each December to the Nursing Executive Council.
Article V: Committees
a. Subcommittees under the Professional Development Council will include:
- The Professional Advancement Ladder Committee
- The Nursing Retention Committee
b. A task force of Ad Hoc committee members shall be formed at the discretion of the Council to meet the needs of the Council or the hospital as a whole.
a. The Professional Development Council will meet once a month.
b. Members must attend at least 75% of yearly meetings to retain their Council membership.
c. Inability to attend a meeting must be clearly communicated to the Chair in advance.
d. It is the responsibility of the Council member to obtain information from the missed meeting and disseminate this to the appropriate groups.
Article VI: Quorum
51% of the voting members of the Research Council members shall constitute a quorum for all meetings. A consensus decision making process is preferred; when necessary, a motion will be considered approved when passed by a minimum of 2/3 majority vote.
Article VII: Amendments
a. These bylaws may be amended at any meeting of the Council with a quorum of 2/3 attendance and by a 2/3 majority vote.
b. Members shall be notified in writing (14) fourteen days in advance of proposed change.
c. Notification shall include present article and section citation and proposed amendment.
d. The Nursing Executive Council shall review proposed amendments for final approval.