Nursing Research Council Bylaws
Article I: Mission
The Nursing Research Council assists nurses with the implementation of evidence based practice as well as mentoring staff to understand, evaluate, and conduct nursing research.
Article II: Purpose
The purpose of the Nursing Research Council is to:
• Demystify research for the nursing staff.
• Maintain a record of all nursing research projects conducted at UNC Hospitals.
• Provide a forum for education and creative and innovative thinking related to evidence based practice and research.
• Review and approve all nursing research conducted at UNC Hospitals.
• Establish the link between evidence based practice and research.
• Increase UNC Hospitals nursing research visibility within the institution as well as regionally and nationally.
• Assist nurses with the preparation of research proposals and Institutional Review Board applications.
• Identify potential nursing research funding sources.
Article III: Membership
Membership shall include the following:
- 1 Director
- 2 Clinical Nurse Managers
- 2 Nurse Educators
- 1 Health Sciences Librarian
- Former Chair of the Research Council (Chair from prior year)
- UNC School of Nursing representative
- 1 staff nurse representative from each of the clinical service
- Surgery Services
- Heart Center
- Medicine Services
- Women’s Hospital
- Children’s Hospital
- Surgical Services
- Emergency Department/ Air Care
- At- large representative from the procedural areas
- At- large representative from the clinic areas
Ad Hoc members:
Other healthcare professionals involved in clinical practice projects will be invited to attend meetings when projects/ requests are being reviewed for approval or when research issues affect practice within that setting.
a. Each Council member/ Clinical service area shall have only one vote (if there is more than one nurse per clinical service area on the Council, there is still one voting member per service).
b. Ad Hoc members will have no voting privileges.
c. Appointments to the Research Council will be for a minimum of a one (1) year period for the first year that the Council is in existence; thereafter the period of appointment will be two (2) years. No more than 50% of the Council will be rotated off each year, including the first year of existence.
d. Election of members shall occur by November of each year; the term of membership will begin in January.
e. Members will be responsible for coordinating meetings or reporting activities and disseminating minutes/ information to their respective unit or clinical area representatives.
Article IV: Officers
a. The Council Chair and Co-Chair shall be elected from the membership of the Council. The Chair will be a doctorally prepared nurse with an initial three (3) year term.
b. The Director serves as a resource and advises the council on issues that impact the goals and objectives of patient care services and the hospital as a whole.
c. The Nurse Manager will report Council activities to the Nurse Manager Committee on a monthly basis as well as advise the Research Council on management issues.
Duties of the Officers:
a. The Council Chair/ Co-Chair is responsible for reporting to the Nursing Executive Council on a monthly basis.
b. Schedule and facilitate regular meetings.
c. Develop an agenda for each meeting.
d. Ensure that meeting minutes are maintained and disseminated.
e. Promote research activities in nursing newsletters and on the Nursing Web page.
f. The Chair will be responsible for the development and submission of an annual report due each December to the Nursing Executive Council.
Article V: Committees
A task force of Ad Hoc committee members shall be formed at the discretion of the Council to meet the needs of the Council or the hospital as a whole.
a. The Research Council will meet once a month.
b. Members must attend at least 75% of yearly meetings to retain their Council membership.
c. Inability to attend a meeting must be clearly communicated to the Chair in advance.
d. It is the responsibility of the Council member to obtain information from the missed meeting and disseminate this to the appropriate groups.
Article VI: Quorum
51% of the voting members of the Research Council members shall constitute a quorum for all meetings. A consensus decision making process is preferred; when necessary, a motion will be considered approved when passed by a minimum of 2/3 majority vote.
Article VII: Amendments
a. These bylaws may be amended at any meeting of the Council with a quorum of 2/3 attendance and by a 2/3 majority vote.
b. Members shall be notified in writing (14) fourteen days in advance of proposed change.
c. Notification shall include present article and section citation and proposed amendment.
d. The Nursing Executive Council shall review proposed amendments for final approval.