High School Volunteers!
Welcome! We hope that you are as excited about this opportunity to volunteer at UNC Health Care as we are to have you here with us! Please read the information regarding this volunteer opportunity carefully prior to submitting your application. There is a lot of important information that you need to be aware of before you make your final decision to become a volunteer. Being a Junior Volunteer is a wonderful experience, but it requires commitment, maturity, and a drive to provide service to others!
Important Dates and Information:
2015 Summer Junior Program Dates June 15th-August 7th
January 1st-March 7th High School Applications are accepted; they must be postmarked by March 7th. This date is new due to inclement weather.
April 1st-May 31st Interviews and Placements
June 4th, 5-7:30pm Orientation
The Junior Summer Program is open to students at least 14 years of age who have already completed their freshman year of high school. Please see below for more details and information regarding the application process. Due to the intensive nature of the training process to become a UNC Health Care Volunteer, volunteers are only accepted for either the entire academic year or summer program; we are unable to offer short-term volunteering.
- Summer volunteers must be at least 14 years of age by June 1st and enrolled in the 9th grade or higher--we do NOT accept rising 9th graders.
- Applicants must be available one day a week (Monday-Friday) to volunteer. *Limited weekend opportunities available.*
- Academic year volunteers: Must have volunteered during a summer session and able to volunteer immediately after school (by 4:30pm) until 6 pm.
- Summer volunteers: Able to volunteer between the hours of 9 am and 4 pm. Volunteers work in two shifts, 9am-12pm and 1pm-4pm. Generally volunteers will work both an am and pm shift, and have the opportunity to work in two different sites.
- Summer volunteers must be able to commit to volunteering on their scheduled day for at least 7 weeks during the summer session. They do not need to be consecutive weeks. Attendance is crucial to the success of the program. Volunteers must commit to their one-weekly shift and also remember to sign in and out.
- Applicants must agree to comply with a dress code which includes the purchase a volunteer polo shirt for $10 to wear with khaki pants. No shorts or open-toed shoes are allowed.
- Applicants must arrange to attend the mandatory orientation session.
- Applicants must turn in all required paperwork from orientation before beginning to volunteer.
|There are a wide range of opportunities available for high school students at UNC Health Care. To view a comprehensive list of these opportunities, please follow this link: High School Volunteer Opportunities|
Application Process and Required Forms
If you are interested in becoming a volunteer at UNC Health Care, you must complete an application. To view the application process and download the required forms, please follow this link: Application Process and Required Forms.
Jodie Skoff, LCSW